Date:	Wed, 23 Sep 2009 08:26:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:	Davide Libenzi <davidel@...ilserver.org>
To:	Tvrtko Ursulin <tvrtko.ursulin@...hos.com>
cc:	Andreas Gruenbacher <agruen@...e.de>,
	Jamie Lokier <jamie@...reable.org>,
	Eric Paris <eparis@...hat.com>,
	Evgeniy Polyakov <zbr@...emap.net>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	"linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org" <linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"viro@...iv.linux.org.uk" <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk>,
	"alan@...ux.intel.com" <alan@...ux.intel.com>,
	"hch@...radead.org" <hch@...radead.org>
Subject: Re: fanotify as syscalls

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, Tvrtko Ursulin wrote:

> Lived with it because there was no other option. We used LSM while it was
> available for modules but then it was taken away.
>
> And not all vendors even use syscall interception, not even across platforms,
> of which you sound so sure about. You can't even scan something which is not
> in your namespace if you are at the syscall level. And you can't catch things
> like kernel nfsd. No, syscall interception is not really appropriate at all.

Really?
And *if* namespaces were the problem for the devices you were targeting,
what prevented you to resolving the object and offering a stream to
userspace?
In *your* module, hosting at the same time all the other logic required
for it (caches, whitelists, etc...), instead of pushing this stuff into
the kernel.
WRT to the "other" system, never said they were using syscall
interception, if you read carefully. I said that minifilters typically
sends path names to userspace, which might drive you in the pitfall
Andreas was describing.

- Davide