Date:	Wed, 23 Sep 2009 21:10:19 +0200
From:	devzero@....de
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] DRBD for 2.6.32

Dear kernel developers,

looking at this from a user/admin/system-engineer perspective, to be honest:  i think this discussion sucks !

sorry for being a little bit offensive, but the DRBD people did their homework and they did it well, and now you scare them away with this deferred "ohhh, not another raid implementation" discussion.

you also scare away DRBD users, at least you scare ME away, as i loose trust in Linux and loose trust in DRBD to be a "solution with a future".

quoting fujita:
>Anyway, I don't think that your example is fair; we need a driver
>for scsi hardware but we have an alternative to drbd.

no, i don`t think there is a real alternative to DRBD. At least not now. IŽm quite sure we won`t have something as feature rich, as stable and as usable within the next year.

dm-replicator? come on!

to give an example, of how long development of kernel features may last:  for how long is BTRFS being discussed and being introduced now?
announcement is more than 2 years ago, but itŽs in mainline.
i can create snapshots for ages - but why can`t i still delete them?
how can something go mainline which is a "work-in-progress", missing important features and still may get on-disk-layout changes?
is there a different rule for integrating filesystems?
Colognian cliquishness, or what?  ;-)

to my sorrow, i now drop my linux based storage server undertaking and give Solaris/ZFS + ZFS replication a try.
that will probably also fit. and works. and is supported.

use a distro which includes DRBD ?
uhhhm, no......you guys don`t like it...so i don`t like it.
at least using tainted kernel without upstream support is something to avoid....

my 10 cents
roland