Date:	Sat, 3 Oct 2009 13:49:51 +0200
From:	Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@...il.com>
To:	"Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@...hat.com>
Cc:	Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Tom Zanussi <tzanussi@...il.com>,
	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
	Li Zefan <lizf@...fujitsu.com>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL v2] bkl tracepoints + filter regex support

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 11:47:06AM -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

> Hi -

> >> No, but the thing is, IF we're going to freeze this into ABI, then
> >> there's no second chances.
>
> > Right. Once it becomes an ioctl, it becomes an ABI :-/
>
> Are y'all convinced that a little ascii language parser/interpreter is
> the right thing to put into the kernel, as opposed to bytecode (with a
> userspace compiler)?
>
> - FChE

We need something directly understandable from the kernel interfaces.
As an example we don't want the ftrace users to bother about compiling
a string before applying it on an event filter through ftrace debugfs
interface, we want it directly usable without middle-state in the worklow.

That's also the same for perf syscalls users.

Moreover it's a really small language, based on predicates. Fetching
strings against bytecodes won't make that much differences in the
amount of kernel code to maintain.