Date:	Wed, 4 Nov 2009 23:19:38 +0100
From:	Marcin Letyns <mletyns@...il.com>
To:	Mikulas Patocka <mikulas@...ax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: package managers [was: FatELF patches...]

2009/11/4 Mikulas Patocka <mikulas@...ax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>:

> It interferred with my will to install the version of the software that I
> want.

You did it in very idiotic way...

> If you need new 3D driver because of better gaming performance ... if you
> need new lame because it encodes mp3 better ... if you need new libsane
> because it supports the new scanner that you have ... you are going to
> face the same problems like me when I needed new binutils. But the big
> problem is that persons needing these things usually don't have enough
> skills to install the software on their own and then fight with the
> package management system.

You use a rolling distro or add a proper repository with newer
packages. Nope, I never faced such problems, but I'm smart enough to
install software in a proper way. I consider package managers being
killer features you can only dream about being windows user.

> On Windows, the user can just download the EXE, run it, click
> next-next-next-finish and have it installed. There is no package
> management that would try to overwrite what you have just installed.

On windows, user cannot upgrade entire system in such easy way (he
can't even install a thing in such easy way) as Linux distros let you
to do so. I recommend you to stop writing such bull. It was you, who
wanted to overwrite what you have just installed. Stop trolling.