Date:	Thu, 26 Nov 2009 10:10:52 +0100
From:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
To:	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>
Cc:	Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...hat.com>,
	Alexey Dobriyan <adobriyan@...il.com>,
	Ananth Mavinakayanahalli <ananth@...ibm.com>,
	"Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@...hat.com>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	Roland McGrath <roland@...hat.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, utrace-devel@...hat.com
Subject: Re: [RFC,PATCH 0/14] utrace/ptrace

* Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org> wrote:

> [...]  Given that's it's pretty much too later for the 2.6.33 cycle
> anyway I'd suggest you make sure the remaining two major architectures
> (arm and mips) get converted, and if the remaining minor architectures
> don't manage to get their homework done they're left without ptrace.

I suspect the opinion of the ptrace maintainers matters heavily whether
it's appropriate for v2.6.33. You are not going to maintain this, they
are.

Regarding porting it to even more architectures - that's pretty much the
worst idea possible. It increases maintenance and testing overhead by
exploding the test matrix, while giving little to end result. Plus the
worst effect of it is that it becomes even more intrusive and even
harder (and riskier) to merge.

So dont do that.

The best strategy is to concentrate on just one or two well-tested
architectures, and then grow to other architectures gradually. Like
we've done it for basically all big kernel features in the past 10 years
(that had non-trivial arch dependencies), with no exception that i can
remember.

Thanks,

	Ingo