Date:	Fri, 04 Dec 2009 19:40:34 +0100
From:	Patrick Ringl <patrick_@...enet.de>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
CC:	stripconfig@...dmis.org
Subject: 2.6.32: scripts/kconfig/streamline_config.pl :Malfunction

Hi,

I have encounted the following malfunction of the recently added
streamline_config script. When running the following occurs:

ack:~/linux-2.6.32# scripts/kconfig/streamline_config.pl >config_strip
using config: '.config'
Use of uninitialized value $ksource in concatenation (.) or string at
scripts/kconfig/streamline_config.pl line 117.
dock config not found!!
module pata_sis did not have configs CONFIG_PATA_SIS

As a result: it couldnt map one currently loaded module properly and the
other module had been properly mapped, but somehow the
dependency/integrity check triggered it, since it wasnt enabled properly.

I checked the output of the script and yea as I assumed CONFIG_ACPI_DOCK
is not set.

'dock'  refers to:

ack:~/linux-2.6.32# modinfo dock
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/acpi/dock.ko

and the belonging Kconfig file says:

config ACPI_DOCK
        bool "Dock"
        depends on EXPERIMENTAL
        help
          This driver supports ACPI-controlled docking stations and
removable
          drive bays such as the IBM Ultrabay and the Dell Module Bay.

The same with 'pata_sis' (CONFIG_PATA_SIS is also not set) ..

ack:~/linux-2.6.32# modinfo pata_sis
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ata/pata_sis.ko

and the belonging Kconfig file:

config SATA_SIS
        tristate "SiS 964/965/966/180 SATA support"
        depends on PCI
        select PATA_SIS
        help
          This option enables support for SiS Serial ATA on
          SiS 964/965/966/180 and Parallel ATA on SiS 180.
          The PATA support for SiS 180 requires additionally to
          enable the PATA_SIS driver in the config.
          If unsure, say N.

In the end (if one ignored the two missing modules) a make
silentoldconfig didnt even work.

What I did to reproduce this was using the standard kernel config of
debian lenny's amd64 branch.

PS: I wrote such software myself, but I am going a totally different
approach. Your idea is not that bad actually (I am enabling kernel
config options and I am tracking all dependencies properly, while you
can just ignore them, since your script only disables stuff).

regards,
Patrick