Date:	Thu, 10 Dec 2009 15:12:11 +0100
From:	Michal Marek <mmarek@...e.cz>
To:	Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@...cle.com>
Cc:	Sam Ravnborg <sam@...nborg.org>,
	linux-kbuild@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] kbuild updates for 2.6.33

On 9.12.2009 20:20, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 09:31:08AM -0800, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>> Hi > Michal,
>>
>> Is there anything that tells us when we should/must use
>> <generated/*.h> ?
>
> The original idea was that include/generated/ should
> be used for all generated header files.
>
> I once had a patch applied that used it for other
> generated files - this was a bad idea. Said patch
> was reverted as it had much bigger issues.
>
> So think of it as a place for generated header files only.
> This also warrants the location in include/
>
> But only for 'global' header files. For drivers
> and the like that needs the header file only locally the
> header file should not be located n include/generated,
> as it is only for the global headers.

... and if the question was rather "which #include lines need to be
fixed to use generated/": Most of the "global" generated headers are
used only in a handful of places mostly in arch and a bit in core kernel
code. The only drivers that needed updating were four staging drivers
that included <linux/autoconf.h> explicitely (dropping these includes
was a worthwhile cleanup on it's own) and one staging driver and said
iwlwifi which included <linux/utsrelease.h>. Also the rest of the series
is quite non-intrusive, it affects about 25 source files in arch/,
kernel/ and init/ + makefile cleanups. The most often included
asm/asm-offsets.h header is solved by a wrapper in arch/*/include/asm to
avoid unnecessary conflicts. The win is that we can get rid of the
include/asm symlink and the include2 thing in O= builds.

Michal