Date:	Sun, 27 Dec 2009 19:50:47 +0100
From:	Alain Knaff <alain@...ff.lu>
To:	Michael Tokarev <mjt@....msk.ru>
CC:	Tvrtko Ursulin <tvrtko.ursulin@...hos.com>,
Subject: Re: 2.6.33-rc1: LZMA kernel fails to decompress

Michael Tokarev wrote:
> Tvrtko Ursulin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When run under VMware, LZMA compressed 2.6.33-rc1 instantly reboots in the
>> decompression stage. At least I suppose so, because switching to GZIP makes
>> it work.
>
> Switch /bin/sh from dash to bash and recompile (actually relink) - it should work.
>
> /mjt

I can confirm this. A similar issue used to exist for older kernels,
which then got fixed by replacing "echo" with "/bin/echo" in the
size_append command scripts/Makefile.lib . The reason why this was
needed is that some shells (such as dash) have a defective built-in echo
command. Specifying the full path forces to use the system echo command
rather than the broken shell builtin.

In 2.6.33, for some reason, echo has been replaced with printf. With a
_pathless_ printf! The fix is the same as in earlier kernels: add the path.

With the attached patch applied, the kernel compiles correctly even if
sh is linked to dash.

Regards,

Alain

View attachment "dash.patch" of type "text/x-diff" (582 bytes)