Date:	Sat, 2 Jan 2010 21:11:17 +0100
From:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
To:	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>
Cc:	Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@...il.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Christian Kujau <lists@...dbynature.de>,
	Alexander Beregalov <a.beregalov@...il.com>,
	Chris Mason <chris.mason@...cle.com>
Subject: Re: reiserfs broken in 2.6.32 was Re: [GIT PULL] reiserfs fixes

* Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org> wrote:

> > I only have reiserfs partitions in my laptop and my testbox, nothing else.
> > And that because I'm now maintaining it de facto.
>
> AFAIK it's widely used in SUSE installations. It was the default for a long
> time.

[ Btw., if so then SuSE/Novell should sponsor Frederic's reiserfs maintanence
  work. ]

> And right now as in 2.6.32 it's in a state of "may randomly
> explode/deadlock". And no clear path out of it. Not good.

You are quite wrong about that accusation: Frederic's changes are not in
v2.6.32 - they were merged by Linus in the v2.6.33 cycle so that code cannot
physicaly have caused any problems in v2.6.32 ...

If there's stability problems with reiserfs in v2.6.32 then it's doubly good
that Linus merged Frederic's tree in v2.6.33 [beyond the obvious advantage
that it gets rid of the BKL, which was a serious and oft reported limit to
reiserfs scalability]: finally there's again reiserfs development activity,
which might lead to further fixes, and which might solve the v2.6.32 stability
problems you mention.

In my view this work could have been merged sooner, in v2.6.32 already, maybe
that way the v2.6.32 reiserfs stability problems you mentioned could have been
avoided.

Thanks,

	Ingo