Date:	Wed, 6 Jan 2010 19:39:48 +0200 (EET)
From:	Dimitrios Apostolou <jimis@....net>
To:	linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: High cpu temperature with 2.6.32, bisection shows commit 69d258

Hello list,

after upgrading to 2.6.32 kernel, I noticed my P3 500MHz laptop's fan
was working non-stop. Powertop showed more than 100K wakeups/s even though
cpu was idling almost 100% (no user nor system cpu usage). Further
investigation showed that this happened as soon as the "processor" module
was inserted, whence I also got a message like the following:

tsc unstable due to halts in idle
switching clocksource to acpi_pm

A workaround that currently works for me is to boot with "clocksource=pit"
parameter. FYI in 2.6.31 logs I had the same message about tsc
instability, and the final clocksource was acpi_pm too. Nevertheless
wakeups/s were much less and temperature was low.

I performed a bisection to find which commit to blame. Please look into
attached files which include dmesg output from good and bad case, and
bisection output.

What do you think?

Dimitris

View attachment "good5" of type "TEXT/PLAIN" (15763 bytes)

View attachment "bad4" of type "TEXT/PLAIN" (15763 bytes)

View attachment "result.txt" of type "TEXT/plain" (2327 bytes)