Date:	Thu, 7 Jan 2010 17:35:14 -0800 (PST)
From:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	Trond Myklebust <Trond.Myklebust@...app.com>
cc:	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] Please pull NFS client bugfixes....

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> However, I still suspect that the lock inversion problem can probably be
> fixed without any of that at all. Maybe you can just break the chain
> somewhere else. I've not actually seen the lockdep chain, so I don't know
> the deails. Pointers?

For example, if we're talking about readdir having a lock the other way
(NFS lock taken before the mmap_sem), it's entirely possible that there is
nothing to "fix" but some lockdep annotation.

You cannot mmap a directory (and you can't readdir a non-directory), so if
it's a per-inode NFS lock, then the simplest fix _might_ be to just put
directory locks in a different lockdep class from non-directory locks.
That might fix it.

Of course, if it's not a per-inode lock, that doesn't help.

And maybe I'm missing something entirely, and such games with lockdep
classes are pointless, and I'm a moron. Quite possible.

		Linus