Date:	Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:14:44 +1100
From:	Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@...nel.crashing.org>
To:	Paul Mundt <lethal@...ux-sh.org>
Cc:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, arnd@...db.de,
	geert@...ux-m68k.org, acme@...hat.com, linux-arch@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-m68k@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: sys_recvmmsg: wire up or not?

On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 16:21 +0900, Paul Mundt wrote:

> > IE. I'd rather have them all duplicated into real syscalls than some of
> > them only in socketcall and some on both since that will make any kind
> > of userspace transition even more hellish.
> >
> Presumably you're going to have to support both given that binaries with
> both ABIs are going to be left around for the forseeable future. We
> started out with socketcall on sh64 with the initial ABI and then
> transitioned over to broken out direct system calls. While having both is
> a bit inconsistent, it's not really something that can be avoided until
> all of the old binaries go away. There are certainly enough architectures
> today that provide both that you shouldn't really run in to any nasty
> surprises at least.

I agree, my point was more like I'd rather not add the syscall for
recvmmsg only right now, and others later, and instead of an
all-or-nothing approach, ie, add all the syscalls at once (while keeping
the socketcall around of course). That would make glibc work easier not
having to track syscall availability on a per-syscall basis etc...

Cheers,
Ben.