Date:	Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:33:49 +0100
From:	Manuel Stahl <manuel.stahl@....fraunhofer.de>
To:	"Hennerich, Michael" <Michael.Hennerich@...log.com>
CC:	Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@...il.com>,
	Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>,
	Jonathan Cameron <kernel@...23.retrosnub.co.uk>,
	Jonathan Cameron <jic23@....ac.uk>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"Frysinger, Michael" <Michael.Frysinger@...log.com>,
	"Getz, Robin" <Robin.Getz@...log.com>,
	Jean Delvare <khali@...ux-fr.org>,
	"Trisal, Kalhan" <kalhan.trisal@...el.com>,
	"Zhang, Xing Z" <xing.z.zhang@...el.com>,
	Ira Snyder <iws@...o.caltech.edu>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Staging:IIO: New ABI

Am 26.01.2010 11:25, schrieb Hennerich, Michael:
>> From: Dmitry Torokhov [mailto:dmitry.torokhov@...il.com]

> api? Also note that these
> relevant event on the related

> bunch of
> plug into

> input
> solution.
> input

> acceptable for

> "toy"
> we use
> the

> bridge

>>> I really don't see that hwmon provides facilities like input/evdev
>>> does.  Queuing of events with time stamping and multiple reader
>>> support.
>>
>> I understand that using evdev might be very convenient but I still
>> believe that input should be used for human interfaces, not for generic
>> data acquisition. The idea is that userpsace consumers should be able
>> query device's capabilities and based on those capabilities be able to
>> classify and properly handle the device. Now it all breaks when we get
>> random hardware using EV_ABS/ABS_* for delivering some datastream that
>> has nothing to do with coordinates.
>
> Acceleration in X,Y,Z translates pretty well in what joysticks deliver.

But it's not only about accelerometers here. We also have gyros,
magnetometers, pressure sensors and generic ADCs.

>>>   The adxl34x accelerometer driver for example is really
>>> intended to be a input device.  Send EV_KEY for x,y,z_TAP detections,
>>> send EV_KEY for 3D orientation sensing, and EV_ABS for acceleration.
>>> With very minor platform data customization you can use this device
>>> for game controls or GUI interaction.  A few examples include digital
>>> picture frames, ebook readers, etc.
>>>

>> I see. However, can it be reasonably used for other purposes?
>
> Well - it depends. Some applications for Accelerometers also include:

> Personal navigation devices
(low to mid data rate)

> Hard disk drive (HDD) protection
(only alerts)

> Safety
(probably low data rate)

What we want with IIO is a common high performance interface to these
devices. That's why we have ring buffers in the kernel. Possible
applications are robotics, precise navigation, data aquisition, etc.

Regards,
--
Dipl.-Inf. Manuel Stahl
Fraunhofer-Institut für Integrierte Schaltungen IIS

View attachment "manuel_stahl.vcf" of type "text/x-vcard" (162 bytes)

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/pkcs7-signature" (6148 bytes)