Date:	Wed, 3 Feb 2010 18:37:53 -0800
From:	Grant Grundler <grundler@...gle.com>
To:	Chandra Shekhar Sah <edu4madh@...il.com>
Cc:	Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-ide@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: port multiplier problem

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Chandra Shekhar Sah <edu4madh@...il.com> wrote:
> Hi Grant,
>
> Thank for reply.
> Yes, PMP is sil3726. The backplane of the disk array has two PMP (each
> 1-to-5 as you have mentioned) and two sata direct connection without PMP.
> So, 10 disk are behind 2 PMP.

Ah ok. That explains your "5-5-1-1" comment now. I tried to find a
Data sheet for this board but only found one in Chinese:
    www.norco.com.cn/UpLoadFile/Manual/DS-12X0-CN.pdf

and I unfortunately don't speak/read chinese. Probably doesn't matter
though since...

This email thread looks like a duplicate of a previous bug report:
   http://markmail.org/message/lp3ynvfefejpiy2r

(or search for  "Ubuntu 9.04 (2.6.28-14) and eSATA Port Multiplier
(PMP) Not working")

Chandra, you might read through that thread and dmesg output (posted by Chris K)
to see what else you have in common.

I had two questions on that thread that never got answered:
   http://markmail.org/message/snpekoj4qexrslk5

| How can we find out if anyone has the SEMB properly wired up?
| Would it be hard to make libata aware of "SEMB port not responding" case?
| ie if the SEMB port times out or has no link, reduce the port count of
| the sil3726 PMP by one.
|
| Maybe add a "enable_sil24_semb" flag to libata?
| (avoid checking unless someone asks for it). I hate magic flags but also
| don't want to subject most people to the timeout delay.

I (or Gwendal) can post a patch (and lightly test) for any of the above.
Just need to get some guidance so we don't waste our time.

thanks,
grant