Date:	Tue, 16 Feb 2010 17:23:48 +0000
From:	John Robinson <john.robinson@...nymous.org.uk>
To:	Linux RAID <linux-raid@...r.kernel.org>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Linux mdadm superblock question.

On 16/02/2010 14:37, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Dienstag 16 Februar 2010, John Robinson wrote:
>>> and distros do it because of all the drivers they have to ship. But for
>>> example I am not bound by such limitations. Why should I deal with that?
>>> It is hard enough not to forget 'make modules_install'. And now add
>>> initrd. Autodetecting just works - but if you use an initrd an it
>>> doesn't. Where do you start?
>>>
>>> Initrd's maybe great for distro packagers, but are they really usefull
>>> for anybody else?
>> Not just for distro packagers, they're useful for distro users, which
>> are presumably 99% of Linux users these days, including the vast
>> majority of enterprise users who like tested, supported systems.
>>
>> But even for people building their own kernels, initrd/initramfs are
>> useful if you're using LVM, or indeed trying to boot off anything that's
>> not a simple device.
>
> so assume you have an initrd and metadata 1.x without auto assembling.
>
> You do some changes to the raid and screw up something else. Next boot nothing
> works. Mostly because the mdadm.conf in your initrd is not correct.
>
> You whip out your trusty usb stick with a resuce system - and you are stuck.
> If autoassembling would work, you would have working md devices you could
> mount and edit the files you have to. But you don't and the mdadm.conf in the
> initrd is outdated.
>
> Sounds like 'you are screwed'.

No; mdadm can assemble arrays without needing a conf file (at least
arrays which have superblocks).

And if you have otherwise screwed something up with the RAID, no amount
of in-kernel autoassembly is going to help, in fact it's more likely to
get it wrong and make things worse; you need a command line and mdadm to
sort it out.

Cheers,

John.