Date:	Thu, 11 Mar 2010 18:04:38 -0600
From:	Robert Hancock <hancockrwd@...il.com>
To:	CaT <cat@....com.au>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Regression? 2.6.23.16 -> 2.6.32.9: ide/libata HD recognition

On 03/09/2010 10:16 PM, CaT wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just had a strange situation with the above upgrade. It was done on an
> old server that used the serverworks ide driver. The IDE hw config under
> 2.6.23.16 was:
>
> hda:	HD
> hdb:	CDROM
> hdc:	empty
> hdd:	HD

That sounds like you had a slave with no master on the second IDE
channel. That really isn't a wise configuration and is prone to break
(some devices don't work in this setup, some BIOSes choke, etc.) since
the standard doesn't really allow this (the spec says that support for
this configuration is "host specific" and not mandatory).

There have been some reports about this breaking when moving to libata
(not sure about newer versions of IDE). I'm not sure exactly what has
changed to cause this, but it might not be possible to get around it
without breaking other things (could be the 80-wire cable detection
protocol is what changed things, but IIRC the reason it changed was the
original code didn't follow the spec and didn't always work properly
with some hardware).

Essentially, fixing the hardware config to set the drive for master if
it's the only device on the channel is likely the best solution overall.