Date:	Sat, 27 Mar 2010 19:13:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:	David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>
To:	Nick Piggin <npiggin@...e.de>
cc:	Pekka Enberg <penberg@...helsinki.fi>,
	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>,
	Christoph Lameter <cl@...ux-foundation.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-mm@...ck.org,
	haicheng.li@...el.com,
	KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@...fujitsu.com>
Subject: Re: [patch] slab: add memory hotplug support

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010, Nick Piggin wrote:

> > > What's stopping races of other CPUs trying to access l3 and array
> > > caches while they're being freed?
> > >

> > numa_node_id() will not return an offlined nodeid and cache_alloc_node()
> > already does a fallback to other onlined nodes in case a nodeid is passed
> > to kmalloc_node() that does not have a nodelist.  l3->shared and l3->alien
> > cannot be accessed without l3->list_lock (drain, cache_alloc_refill,
> > cache_flusharray) or cache_chain_mutex (kmem_cache_destroy, cache_reap).
>
> Yeah, but can't it _have_ a nodelist (ie. before it is set to NULL here)
> while it is being accessed by another CPU and concurrently being freed
> on this one?

You're right, we can't free cachep->nodelists[node] for any node that is
being hot-removed to avoid a race in cache_alloc_node().  I thought we had
protection for this under cache_chain_mutex for most dereferences and
could disregard cache_alloc_refill() because numa_node_id() would never
return a node being removed under memory hotplug, that would be the
responsibility of cpu hotplug instead (offline the cpu first, then ensure
numa_node_id() can't return a node under hot-remove).

Thanks for pointing that out, it's definitely broken here.

As an alternative, I think we should do something like this on
MEM_GOING_OFFLINE:

	int ret = 0;

	mutex_lock(&cache_chain_mutex);
	list_for_each_entry(cachep, &cache_chain, next) {
		struct kmem_list3 *l3;

		l3 = cachep->nodelists[node];
		if (!l3)
			continue;
		drain_freelist(cachep, l3, l3->free_objects);

		ret = list_empty(&l3->slabs_full) &&
		      list_empty(&l3->slabs_partial);
		if (ret)
			break;
	}
	mutex_unlock(&cache_chain_mutex);
	return ret ? NOTIFY_BAD : NOTIFY_OK;

to preempt hot-remove of a node where there are slabs on the partial or
free list that can't be freed.

Then, for MEM_OFFLINE, we leave cachep->nodelists[node] to be valid in
case there are cache_alloc_node() racers or the node ever comes back
online; susbequent callers to kmalloc_node() for the offlined node would
actually return objects from fallback_alloc() since kmem_getpages() would
fail for a node without present pages.

If slab is allocated after the drain_freelist() above, we'll never
actually get MEM_OFFLINE since all pages can't be isolated for memory
hot-remove, thus, the node will never be offlined.  kmem_getpages() can't
allocate isolated pages, so this race must happen after drain_freelist()
and prior to the pageblock being isolated.

So the MEM_GOING_OFFLINE check above is really more of a convenience to
short-circuit the hot-remove if we know we can't free all slab on that
node to avoid all the subsequent work that would happen only to run into
isolation failure later.

We don't need to do anything for MEM_CANCEL_OFFLINE since the only affect
of MEM_GOING_OFFLINE is to drain the freelist.