Date:	Tue,  6 Apr 2010 15:24:55 +0900 (JST)
From:	KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro@...fujitsu.com>
To:	Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@...nel.crashing.org>
Cc:	kosaki.motohiro@...fujitsu.com, linux-mm@...ck.org,
	linux-arch@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Arch specific mmap attributes (Was: mprotect pgprot handling weirdness)

> On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 14:52 +0900, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
>
> (Adding linux-arch)
>
> > This check was introduced the following commit. yes now we don't
> > consider arch specific PROT_xx flags. but I don't think it is odd.
> >
> > Yeah, I can imagine at least embedded people certenary need arch
> > specific PROT_xx flags and they hope to change it. but I don't
> > think mprotect() fit for your usage. I mean mprotect() is widely
> > used glibc internally. then, If mprotec can change which flags,
> > glibc might turn off such flags implictly.
> >
> > So, Why can't we proper new syscall? It has no regression risk.
>
> I don't care much personally whether we use mprotect() or a new syscall,
> but at this stage we already have PROT_SAO going that way for powerpc so
> that would be an ABI change.
>
> However, the main issue isn't really there. The main issue is that right
> now, everything we do in mmap.c, mprotect.c, ... revolves around having
> everything translated into the single vm_flags field. VMA merging
> decisions, construction of vm_page_prot, etc... everything is there.
>
> However, this is a 32-bit field on 32-bit archs, and we already use all
> possible bits in there. It's also a field entirely defined in generic
> code with no provision for arch specific bits.
>
> The question here thus boils down to what direction do we want to go to
> if we want to untangle that and provide the ability to expose mapping
> "attributes" basically. In fact, I suspect even x86 might have good use
> of that to create things like relaxed ordering mappings no ?
>
> This boils down, so far to a few facts/questions to be resolved:
>
>  - Do we want to use the existing PROT_ argument to mmap, mprotect,... ?
> There's plenty of bit space, and we already have at least one example of
> an arch adding something to it (powerpc with PROT_SAO - aka Strong
> Access Ordering - aka Make It Look Like An x86 :-)
>
>  - If not, while a separate syscall would be fine with me for setting
> attributes after the fact, it makes it harder to pass them via mmap, is
> that a big deal ? IE. Ie it means one -always- has to call it after mmap
> to change the attributes. That means for example that mmap will
> potentially create a VMA merged with another one, just to be re-split
> due to the attribute change. A bit gross...
>
>  - Do we want to keep the current "Funnel everything into vm_flags"
> approach ? That leaves no option that I can see but to extend it into a
> u64 so it grows on 32-bit archs.
>
>  - If not, I see two approaches here: Either having a separate / new
> "attribute" field in the VMA or going straight for the vm_page_prot (ie.
> the pgprot). In both cases, things like vma_merge() need to grow a new
> argument since obviously we can't merge things with different
> attributes.
>
>  - ... Unless we just replace VM_SAO with VM_CANT_MERGE and set that
> whenever a VMA has a non-0 attributes. Sad but simpler
>
> Any other / better idea ?

I guess you haven't catch my intention. I didn't say we have to remove
PROT_SAO and VM_SAO.
I mean mmap(PROT_SAO) is ok, it's only append new flag, not change exiting
flags meanings. I'm only against mprotect(PROT_NONE) turn off PROT_SAO
implicitely.

IOW I recommend we use three syscall
	mmap()		create new mappings
	mprotect()	change a protection of mapping (as a name)
	mattribute(): (or similar name)
			change an attribute of mapping (e.g. PROT_SAO or
			another arch specific flags)

I'm not against changing mm/protect.c for PROT_SAO.