Date:	Wed, 07 Apr 2010 06:30:28 -0700
From:	"Justin P. mattock" <justinmattock@...il.com>
To:	Ákos Maróy <akos@...oy.hu>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: system does not power off - how to debug?

On 04/07/2010 05:24 AM, Ákos Maróy wrote:
> Justin,
>
>> Since this issue seems easily reproducible
>> the best way to find the issue is through
>> a bisect(hardest part is finding the last
>> good kernel),
>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/user-manual.html
>>
>> hope this helps,
>
> hm, but wouldn't this assume that there is a kernel version, which
> actually works?
>

> Akos

nice!!, so there never was a good kernel version.
In this case I guess the right question is, is
what/where is the shutdown mechanism(in the kernel)
responsible for this and if possible is there already
some mechanism in place for this machine with this issue
i.g. I had to add my machines dmi info to reboot.c
in order for it to reboot properly.

Now keep in mind this could have nothing todo with
adding some dmi entry, this could somewhere else
(which the bisect could reveal(hopefully)).

as for debugging I normally use ohci1394_dma=early
you might be able to catch some strace towards the end
with this.

Justin P. Mattock