Date:	Wed,  7 Apr 2010 15:03:45 +0900 (JST)
From:	KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro@...fujitsu.com>
To:	Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@...nel.crashing.org>
Cc:	kosaki.motohiro@...fujitsu.com, linux-mm@...ck.org,
	linux-arch@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Arch specific mmap attributes (Was: mprotect pgprot handling weirdness)

> On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 19:26 +0900, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
> > > Ok, I see. No biggie. The main deal remains how we want to do that
> > > inside the kernel :-) I think the less horrible options here are
> > > to either extend vm_flags to always be 64-bit, or add a separate
> > > vm_map_attributes flag, and add the necessary bits and pieces to
> > > prevent merge accross different attribute vma's.
> >
> > vma->vm_flags already have VM_SAO. Why do we need more flags?
> > At least, I dislike to add separate flags member into vma.
> > It might introduce unnecessary messy into vma merge thing.
>
> Well, we did shove SAO in there, and used up the very last vm_flag for
> it a while back. Now I need another one, for little endian mappings. So
> I'm stuck.
>
> But the problem goes further I believe. Archs do nowadays have quite an
> interesting set of MMU attributes that it would be useful to expose to
> some extent.

Generally speaking, It seems no good idea. desktop and server world don't
interest arch specific mmu attribute crap. because many many opensource
and ISV library don't care it. I know highend hpc and embedded have
differenct eco-system. they might want to use such strange mmu feature.
I recommend to you are focusing popwerpc eco-system.

I'm not against changing kernel internal. I only disagree mmu attribute
fashion will be become used widely.