Date:	Fri, 09 Apr 2010 07:43:35 +0200
From:	Florian Tobias Schandinat <FlorianSchandinat@....de>
To:	Jonathan Corbet <corbet@....net>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Harald Welte <laforge@...monks.org>,
	JosephChan@....com.tw, ScottFang@...tech.com.cn,
	Deepak Saxena <dsaxena@...top.org>,
	linux-fbdev-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [RFC] Initial OLPC Viafb merge

Hi Jon,

Jonathan Corbet schrieb:
> The following patches are the beginning of an effort to move work done for
> the OLPC XO 1.5 machine into the mainline.  What's here is basic support
> for the VX855 chipset, I2C, suspend/resume, and the OLPC panel display.

Thanks a lot for your work I appreciate it very much.
However there are 2 things I'd like to ask for:

Could you please forward port them to latest mainline? There went some
changes in for 2.6.34 that break some of your patches (but not many and
at least the first conflict is easy to fix) as I generally prefer to
test a version that does not contain too much changes from myself.

Please make checkpatch happy where appropriate. (whitespaces, ...)

> What's coming in the future is a reworking of the viafb driver into
> something resembling a proper multifunction device, GPIO support, and
> camera support.  But I'd like to start here.

Yeah, that's already a whole bunch of stuff. I agree that it's time to
get this in.

> If there's no objections, I'll start a tree and get it into linux-next in
> the near future, with an eye toward a 2.6.35 merge.

At least I'd like to see your work as early as possible so that we can
avoid conflicts (in patches and design). I hope this will get a bit
better after viafb is split up.
I don't have a strong opinion on the patch submission route as long as I
have the possibility to work on viafb and get some patches in as getting
to far ahead/away from mainline really sucks especially if one has not
all the hardware to test with. That said I'd be glad if we could
work/discuss the issues on these patches and get them in the next merge
window somehow.
Fortunately I still have a bit time left to finish the review of the
remaining patches in the next days but I would really appreciate it very
much if you could publish your work more frequently in the future.

Thanks,

Florian Tobias Schandinat