Date:	Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:22:43 -0700
From:	Dean Hildebrand <seattleplus@...il.com>
To:	Wu Fengguang <fengguang.wu@...el.com>
CC:	Trond Myklebust <Trond.Myklebust@...app.com>,
	John Stoffel <john@...ffel.org>,
	Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com>,
	"linux-nfs@...r.kernel.org" <linux-nfs@...r.kernel.org>,
	"linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org" <linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Linux Memory Management List <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] nfs: use 4*rsize readahead size

You cannot simply update linux system tcp parameters and expect nfs to
work well performance-wise over the wan.  The NFS server does not use
system tcp parameters.  This is a long standing issue.  A patch was
originally added in 2.6.30 that enabled NFS to use linux tcp buffer
autotuning, which would resolve the issue, but a regression was reported
(http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/826598 ) and so they removed
the patch.

Maybe its time to rethink allowing users to manually set linux nfs
server tcp buffer sizes?  Years have passed on this subject and people
are still waiting.  Good performance over the wan will require manually
setting tcp buffer sizes.  As mentioned in the regression thread,
autotuning can reduce performance by up to 10%.  Here is a patch
(slightly outdated) that creates 2 sysctls that allow users to manually
to set NFS TCP buffer sizes.  The first link also has a fair amount of
background information on the subject.
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-nfs/msg01338.html
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-nfs/msg01339.html

Dean