Date:	Fri, 14 May 2010 21:30:12 +0400
From:	Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov@...il.com>
To:	Jaswinder Singh Rajput <jaswinderlinux@...il.com>
Cc:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>, Lin Ming <ming.m.lin@...el.com>,
	Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@...il.com>
Subject: Re: Performance Events hangs with Intel P4 system

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:06:44PM +0530, Jaswinder Singh Rajput wrote:
> Ok, I added few more events and now I am able see few hardware events :
>
> $ ./perf stat -e
> cycles,instructions,cache-references,cache-misses,branches,branch-misses,bus-cycles,L1-dcache-loads,L1-dcache-load-misses,L1-dcache-stores,L1-dcache-store-misses,L1-dcache-prefetches,L1-dcache-prefetch-misses,L1-icache-loads,L1-icache-load-misses,L1-icache-prefetches,L1-icache-prefetch-misses,LLC-loads,LLC-load-misses,LLC-stores,LLC-store-misses,LLC-prefetches,LLC-prefetch-misses,dTLB-loads,dTLB-load-misses,dTLB-stores,dTLB-store-misses,dTLB-prefetches,dTLB-prefetch-misses,iTLB-loads,iTLB-load-misses
> ls -lR /dev > /dev/null

ok, they work as expected. Could you try only "cycles"? The things are
that different events may attempt to borrow same resources already allocated
for another event, ie they can't run simultaneously. And iirc we encode
only a subset of chache events. Though all "general" events should work.
(by "general" events I mean "cycles", "instructions", "cache-references",
 "cache-misses", "branch-instructions", "branch-misses", "bus-cycles").
Could you check them one-by-one?

	-- Cyrill