Date:	Wed, 19 May 2010 01:51:35 +1000
From:	Nick Piggin <npiggin@...e.de>
To:	Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@...icios.com>
Cc:	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
	Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@...il.com>,
	Pierre Tardy <tardyp@...il.com>, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...hat.com>,
	Tom Zanussi <tzanussi@...il.com>,
	Paul Mackerras <paulus@...ba.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, arjan@...radead.org,
	ziga.mahkovec@...il.com, davem <davem@...emloft.net>,
	linux-mm@...ck.org, Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro@...fujitsu.com>,
	Christoph Lameter <cl@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>, Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@...cle.com>,
Subject: Re: Unexpected splice "always copy" behavior observed

Hi,

The basic problem is that the filesystem APIs were never designed with
this usage in mind, so we had to disable the SPLICE_F_MOVE support by
default.

So short answer is that this is expected.

What would be needed is to have filesystem maintainers go through and
enable it on a case by case basis. It's trivial for tmpfs/ramfs type
filesystems and I have a patch for those, but I never posted it on.yet.
Even basic buffer head filesystems IIRC get a little more complex --
but we may get some milage just out of invalidating the existing
pagecache rather than getting fancy and trying to move buffers over
to the new page.

Nick