Date:	Tue, 01 Jun 2010 22:32:27 +0300
From:	Maxim Levitsky <maximlevitsky@...il.com>
To:	linux-kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Cc:	marco.stornelli@...il.com
Subject: RAMOOPS: few questions

Hi,

I want to switch over my own patch that does more or less the same that
this driver.

As I see this driver uses ioremap to reserve the memory.
However, I have a question about how to tell kernel that specific memory
region is reserved.

Well, I use now mem=... to do so, but this wastes space, because the
region I need can't be near end of the RAM.

I tried to use 'memmap=20M$0x70000000' on kernel command line, but that
just makes kernel reboot.
I think its a bug though.

Also, does this driver dupms all kernel log or only panic/oops message?
My patch actually makes kernel store actual printk buffer in fixed
location, thus it is very robust. It was rejected though in favour of
solution you eventually implemented.

Also I would like to extend your driver to dump old contents of the ram
buffer to kernel log, so one wouldn't worry about erasing in on next
boot after crash.
Don't know when I do that though.

Best regards,
Maxim Levitsky.

For reference my patch attached.

View attachment "ram_printk.diff" of type "text/x-patch" (5987 bytes)