Date:	Sun, 20 Jun 2010 22:23:50 -0400
From:	Richard Yao <shiningarcanine@...il.com>
To:	Andrew Hendry <andrew.hendry@...il.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Kernel does strange things when compilations push memory usage
	above physical memory and the compilations are being done in a tmpfs, despite
	having ample swap

My system is still responsive if it has not locked-up, even after the
oom-killer appears to have killed stuff.

Does the kernel need to be compiled with any special options to have
it report to dmesg that the oom-killer activated? I cited the
oom-killer as being activated because several things would
inexplicit-ably crash when the system is under memory pressure, but
looking in my dmesg log at a crash that occurred earlier today when I
forgot to unmount my tmpfs, I do not see any references to the oom
killer, just the process that crashed:

[ 5873.816211] chrome[18404]: segfault at 8 ip 0000000001063b9b sp
00007fffb0a7f540 error 4 in chrome[400000+28be000]

Could it be that a bug is causing the kernel to map the same region of
physical memory to multiple programs?