Date:	Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:17:38 -0700
From:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>
Cc:	Ian Campbell <ijc@...lion.org.uk>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	stable@...nel.org, stable-review@...nel.org,
	akpm@...ux-foundation.org, alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk,
	Greg KH <gregkh@...e.de>
Subject: Re: [2/3] mm: fix up some user-visible effects of the stack guard page

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org> wrote:

> You mean something like the below?

Yeah. I looked at exactly something like that. With the same name for
vma_next() - except I just passed down 'mm' to it too. Your patch
takes it from vma->mm and then you have a few places do the whole
__vma_next() by hand.

> Should I look at refreshing that thing (yes, that's a 2007 patch)?

Interesting. I generated about half the patch, and then decided that
it's not worth it. But the fact that apparently you did the same thing
in 2007 means that maybe there really _is_ a pent-up demand for doing
this dang thing.

I do note that I also did a patch that just added "vm_prev", and it's
a lot smaller. It doesn't allow for the cleanups of using the generic
list iterators, though. And it has the usual problem with the
straightforward doubly-linked lists: you end up with those ugly
conditional assignments like

  if (prev)
     prev->vm_next = vma;
  if (next)
     next->vm_prev = vma;

which the list_head approach avoids.

Appended is that much smaller patch. It has an ugly and partial
"validate_vma()" hack there in find_vma() to catch the worst bugs, but
it's really not tested. I did try booting it, and it's not spewing out
errors, but who the heck knows. It doesn't look too horrid, but...

What do you think?

NOTE! I've done _zero_ cleanups. And one of the thing I noticed is
that "find_vma_prev()" is sometimes used to find a "prev" even when
there is no "vma" (ie growing a grow-up stack at the end of the VM, or
adding a new mapping at the end), so my hope that we could get rid of
it entirely was naïve. But there should be other things we should be
able to simplify when we can get at the prev pointer (all the
mprotect/mlock splitting code should work fine without having that
'prev' thing passed around etc).

                            Linus

View attachment "diff.txt" of type "text/plain" (5233 bytes)