Date:	Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:25:26 +0100
From:	Pedro Francisco <pedrogfrancisco@...il.com>
To:	Tejun Heo <htejun@...il.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-ide@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ahci rmmodable and shouldn't

On Dom, 2010-09-19 at 14:32 +0200, Tejun Heo wrote:
> I think it works the same way for any other SCSI driver and it's
> pretty convenient during development.  You can unload any network
> driver module while the network is still up too.  Module reference
> count doesn't have any specific meaning of 'use' preassigned other
> than it's there to prevent unloading module while the code and data
> are being actively used by the processor.  It's unfortunate that the
> way module reference count is used for libata is causing discomfort to
> you but I need much better reason to change it.

Discomfort? Not really, sorry if my stubbornness felt like it. No, I'm
fine with it.

I just thought it was weird the change of behaviour from 2.6.32, plus
felt that the "Used by" field by lsmod was incorrectly set at 0 since
the module is, in fact, being used (e)

If you say both behaviours are expected and preferred, besides being
consistent with other modules (something I didn't know), I really can't
argue any more.

Thanks for the explanation and sorry for the noise :)

--
Pedro