Date:	Sat, 06 Nov 2010 15:44:24 +0100
From:	Francis Moreau <francis.moro@...il.com>
To:	Vince Weaver <vweaver1@...s.utk.edu>
Cc:	Victor Jimenez <victor.javier@....es>,
	Reid Kleckner <reid.kleckner@...il.com>,
	Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@...il.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...hat.com>,
	Stephane Eranian <eranian@...gle.com>,
	linux-perf-users@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: perf tools miscellaneous questions

Vince Weaver <vweaver1@...s.utk.edu> writes:

> On Fri, 5 Nov 2010, Francis Moreau wrote:
>
>> Victor Jimenez <victor.javier@....es> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> > If you are measuring last level cache misses, I would recommend you to
>> > use a memory intensive application/benchmark instead of /bin/true, as
>> > otherwise there can be a significant variation between two runs.
>>
>> I agree.
>>
>> But still with intensive application, I got the same results:
>

> you're going to need to get your architectural manual for your processor
> and use raw events (not the kernel default ones) if you really want to
> find out what's going on.  A tool like libpfm4 can help change the names
> to raw events for you.

Ouch that's a bit rude for a man page ;)

Specially since 'llc-loads-misses' is and should be self speaking.

OK, my cpu is described by:

,----
|   vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
|   cpu family	: 6
|   model	: 15
|   model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T5500  @ 1.66GHz
`----

Could you point out the best architecture manual for it which describe
the raw events ?

BTW, I'm wondering if event names are coherent across the different
architectures supported by Linux.

Thanks
--
Francis