Date:	Sun, 7 Nov 2010 23:30:56 +0100
From:	Sam Ravnborg <sam@...nborg.org>
To:	Ben Gamari <bgamari.foss@...il.com>
Cc:	Américo Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com>,
	Christoph Egger <siccegge@...fau.de>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kbuild <linux-kbuild@...r.kernel.org>,
	Michal Marek <mmarek@...e.cz>
Subject: fstat suddenly return -EINVAL [Was: Bus error on make
	allyesconfig, kernelbuild with HEAD]

Hi Ben.

[Context to new readers: Ben experience that fixdep (part of kbuild)
 exists with an error during kernel compilations.
 This is now tracked down to fstat() returning EINVAL.
 Due to missing error checks in fixdep.c this has been a long journey
 to reach this far. ]

I looked briefly at the fstat implmnetation in the kernel and
this did not give me any hints.
I therefore changed to subject to attrack attention of more readers.

Can you supply us with a bit more information about your system:
- filesystem (as fstat seems to reach filesystem specific code)
- glibc version
- box (architecture + 32 or 64 bit kernel)
- do you see other things misbehave or is this only a kernel build thing

If you have provided this info in the past I have missed it.

	Sam

[Kept the below for new readers]