Date:	Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:51:09 +0900
From:	Paul Mundt <lethal@...ux-sh.org>
To:	Norbert Preining <preining@...ic.at>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: /dev/sda disappearing with SYFS_DEPRECATED?

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 02:20:27PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> I just changed my kernel config slightly to activate some DEPRECATED
> configs and alas, the change was interesting, suddenly there
> was no /dev/sda shown anymore.
>
> Userspace remain completely the same (debian/sid up2date).
>
> The only changes I made in the .config file was:
> -# CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED is not set
> +CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y
> +CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2=y
>
> -CONFIG_NFSD_DEPRECATED=y
> +# CONFIG_NFSD_DEPRECATED is not set
>
> and this made the /dev/sda* entries disappear.
>
> Is that to be expected?

Yes. Newer tools are incompatible with these settings, as noted in the
Kconfig help for these entries:

config SYSFS_DEPRECATED

          Recent distributions and userspace tools after 2009/2010 depend on
          the existence of /sys/class/block/, and will not work with this
          option enabled.

SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 just forces this behaviour on.