Date:	Fri, 17 Dec 2010 16:58:34 -0800
From:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@...cle.com>
Cc:	Andrea Arcangeli <aarcange@...hat.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-mm@...ck.org,
	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: mmotm 2010-12-16-14-56 uploaded (hugetlb)

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 16:28:51 -0800
Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@...cle.com> wrote:

> On 12/17/10 15:37, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 02:53:34PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> >> afacit, CONFIG_HUGETLBFS must be enabled if CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE=y, and
> >> thp-config_transparent_hugepage.patch broke that, by permitting
> >> CONFIG_HUGETLBFS=n, CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE=y,
> >> CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE=y.
> >
> > CONFIG_HUGETLBFS and CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE existed before, and
> > HUGETLBFS=n && HUGETLB_PAGE=y used to build just fine, I clearly
> > didn't try a build with HUGETLBFS=n recently.
> >
> >> There's lots of stuff in hugetlb.h which is clearly related to
> >> hugetlbfs, but is enabled by CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE, so those things seem
> >> to be pretty joined at the hip nowadays.
> >
> > Yes, it used to build just fine but I guess after the last hugetlbfs
> > updates I'm getting flood of errors no matter how I adjust things.
> > hugetlbfs code who needs some fixup here.
>
> I see a real *flood* of errors when I try building ARCH=um SUBARCH={i386|x86_64}:
>
> > grep -c error: UM*/build*
> UM32/build-defcfg.out:454539
> UM64/build-defcfg.out:453707

erk, yeah, that's totally horked.

The first one millionth:

include/asm-generic/pgtable.h: In function 'ptep_get_and_clear':
include/asm-generic/pgtable.h:77: error: expected statement before ')' token
include/asm-generic/pgtable.h:94: error: invalid storage class for function 'pmdp_get_and_clear'

Due to thp-add-pmd-mangling-generic-functions.patch