Date:	Tue, 28 Dec 2010 00:28:20 -0200
From:	Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@....eng.br>
To:	mingo@...hat.com, hpa@...or.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	jj@...osbits.net, tigran@...azian.fsnet.co.uk, tglx@...utronix.de,
	shaohua.li@...el.com, mingo@...e.hu
Subject: Re: [tip:x86/urgent] x86/microcode: Fix double vfree() and remove
 redundant pointer checks before vfree()

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010, tip-bot for Jesper Juhl wrote:
> In arch/x86/kernel/microcode_intel.c::generic_load_microcode()
> we have  this:
>
> 	while (leftover) {
> 		if (get_ucode_data(mc, ucode_ptr, mc_size) ||
> 		    microcode_sanity_check(mc) < 0) {
> 			vfree(mc);
> 			break;
> 		}
> 	}
>
> 	if (mc)
> 		vfree(mc);

Which is trivial to trigger from userspace, fortunately limited to root in
any sane distro (and by default).

Please send it to -stable after it gets merged in mainline and is deemed
safe...

The Intel microcode driver will also accept a bogus microcode which has a
valid header, but all zeros for the cyphertext.  This is a design defect on
the current Intel microcode format, but can be worked around by the driver
if one assumes such a cyphertext will never be valid (seems like a safe
assumption).  I sure hope the processors will reject that kind of bogosity
even if the kernel doesn't and tries to upload it, though...  I was not
crazy enough to try.

  Henrique Holschuh