Date:	Sun, 27 Feb 2011 16:23:59 +0100
From:	Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@...glemail.com>
To:	"John W. Linville" <linville@...driver.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org, bloat-devel@...ts.bufferbloat.net
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: debloat-testing kernel git tree

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 11:22 PM, John W. Linville
<linville@...driver.com> wrote:
> Announcement
>
> The bufferbloat project [1] is pleased to announce the availability
> of the debloat-testing Linux kernel git tree:
>
>        git://git.infradead.org/debloat-testing.git
>
> The purpose of this tree is to provide a reasonably stable base for
> the development and testing of new algorithms, miscellaneous fixes,
> and maybe a few hacks intended to advance the cause of eliminating
> or at least mitigating bufferbloat in the Linux world.
>
> Introduction
>
> Bufferbloat is a term coined by Jim Gettys to describe the increasing
> prevalence of large and (particularly) unmanaged network buffers along
> the network links that comprise the Internet [2].  If you are not aware
> of the problems with network latency under load that the Internet is
> already encountering, we encourage you to visit Jim Gettys' blog [3].
> There Jim has begun to fit together enough puzzle pieces to at least
> frame the issue.
>
> Jim has also made available slides and an audio recording (edited
> for time) from a presentation on this topic:
>
>        http://mirrors.bufferbloat.net/Talks/BellLabs01192011/
>
> Kernel Bits
>
> The debloat-testing tree is intended to track full and -rc releases
> from linux-2.6, with interesting patches cherry-picked from net-next
> and various experimental bits added on top.  The current stable of
> such patches includes the following:
>
> Eric Dumazet (based on original work by Juliusz Chroboczek):
>      net_sched: SFB flow scheduler
>
> stephen hemminger:
>      sched: CHOKe flow scheduler
>
> John Fastabend:
>      net: implement mechanism for HW based QOS
>      net_sched: implement a root container qdisc sch_mqprio
>
> John W. Linville:
>      mac80211: implement eBDP algorithm to fight bufferbloat
>
> Nathaniel J. Smith:
>      iwlwifi: Simplify tx queue management
>      iwlwifi: Convert the tx queue high_mark to an atomic_t
>      iwlwifi: Invert the sense of the queue high_mark
>      iwlwifi: auto-tune tx queue size to minimize latency
>      iwlwifi: make current tx queue sizes visible in debugfs
>
> Dave Taht:
>      Bufferbloat reduction for the e1000 driver that started it all
>      Reduce bufferbloated default for e1000e, increase dynamic range
>      Smash bufferbloat in the ath9k driver
>
> Userland Bits
>
> Patches for the userspace tc utility incorporating support for both the
> CHOKe AQM and the Stochastic Fair Blue scheduler (SFB) are available:
>
>        https://github.com/dtaht/iproute2bufferbloat
>
> Contributions
>
> Please send any experimental or research-oriented patches related to
> bufferbloat to the bloat-devel@...ts.bufferbloat.net list.  Reminders
> of more mainstream patches that may be relevant and/or interesting
> for cherry-picking into debloat-testing are welcome there as well.
>
> Obviously, patches that are ready for normal merge consideration
> [...]

Hi,

it should be "localversion-debloat" in the commit-subject in [1] (not
"localversion-wireless") :-).
"-db" as suffix is IMHO not very meaningful... Why not add simply a
suffix called "-debloat"?
(Anyway, I will revert this patch because I don't want to have any
suffix added automatically.)

I have several other questions, but I start compiling first and test
this debloat kernel.

Regards,
- Sedat -

[1] "Add localversion-wireless to identify builds from this tree."
http://git.infradead.org/debloat-testing.git/commit/3f9bdb4f44b076feda72d353d8ad717831416f36