Date:	Mon, 14 Mar 2011 21:50:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:	David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
cc:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Rik van Riel <riel@...hat.com>,
	KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro@...fujitsu.com>,
	Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.6.38

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > once oom-prevent-unnecessary-oom-kills-or-kernel-panics.patch is merged
> > from -mm
>
> Please (re)send the patches which you believe should be merged into
> 2.6.38 to address the problems which Oleg found, and any other critical
> problems.  Not in a huge rush - let's get this right.

In my testing, Oleg's three test cases that he sent to the security list
and cc'd us on get appropriately oom killed once swap is exhausted or
swapoff -a is used on mmotm-2011-03-10-16-42 because of these two patches:

	oom-prevent-unnecessary-oom-kills-or-kernel-panics.patch
	oom-skip-zombies-when-iterating-tasklist.patch

He also presented a test case on linux-mm that caused the oom killer to
avoid acting if a thread is ptracing a thread in the exit path with
PTRACE_O_TRACEEXIT.  That should be fixed with

	http://marc.info/?l=linux-mm&m=129997893430351

that has yet to see -mm.  There are no other test cases that have been
presented that cause undesired behavior.

That said, my approach to doing this has been to avoid arbitrary
heuristics for special cases and address known issues by adding the
appropriate logic in the oom killer.  For example, the ptrace problem that
Oleg presented showed that the oom killer logic incorrectly deferred doing
anything when an eligible thread was PF_EXITING.  It had done that
believing that nothing would stop the thread from exiting or current
would be given access to memory reserves itself and that assumption was
broken for PTRACE_O_TRACEEXIT.  My patch above, in combination with
Andrey's patch that only considers threads with valid mm's, fixes that
issue because we'll now only defer if you still have an attached mm, are
PF_EXITING, and are not being traced.

If, at some point, there is another gap in the exit code where a thread
may hold PF_EXITING with a valid mm for an indefinite period, we'll need
to address that in the oom killer as well.  We use PF_EXITING specifically
in the oom killer to identify tasks that are going to exit soon and need
handling for any case where that isn't guaranteed.  Anything else results
in needlessly killing other tasks or, in the worst case, panicking when
there is nothing left that is eligible.