Date:	Wed, 23 Mar 2011 21:14:51 -0300
From:	Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@....eng.br>
To:	Burt Triplett <burt@...triplett.org>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: BITS handling of CPU microcode updates

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011, Burt Triplett wrote:
> Sorry for the delayed response; I wanted to make sure I could give
> you an answer that would agree with the Intel Software Developer's
> Manual, and that ended up meaning I needed to start the process of
> updating the relevant part of the SDM. :)

Heh :-)

> The Intel SDM correctly identifies microcode revision numbers as
> signed.  However, a simple signed comparison doesn't actually
> capture the correct logic, nor does an unsigned comparison, though
> in both cases the problem doesn't tend to come up in common cases.

> Tools which run automatically, without explicit user action, should
> not attempt to load a microcode if (X < 0) and (Z > 0).  Doing so
> makes life very difficult for people in those test lab environments:
> they put a microcode they want to test in the BIOS or load it via
> BITS, but then the OS driver automatically overrides it with the
> latest production microcode.  So, tools which run automatically
> without explicit user action should follow this rule:
> if ((Z < 0) || (Z > 0 && X > 0 && Z > X)) load_microcode();

Very well, I will send patches to fix that behaviour, as well as some
other stuff I noticed that was not updated to match the recommended
actions documented by the SDM and some Intel application notes.

> If microcode_ctl added an option to distinguish these two cases, it
> could apply the alternative logic when explicitly requested.

Indeed, the userspace and internal kernel API don't support that at this
time.

Now, we could change them I suppose, but it doesn't look like a worthwhile
effort to change the microcode core and APIs for something that would be
of limited use even inside an Intel lab.

Unless there is a reason to support online microcode downgrading, that is.
Does it?  Currently, the rare case of a microcode downgrade will only
happen at the next boot.

> I've started the process of getting the SDM changed to document the
> logic described above, and distinguish the two different types of
> microcode-loading tools.

Thank you.

  Henrique Holschuh