Date:	Tue, 29 Mar 2011 22:32:38 -0700
From:	Ying Han <yinghan@...gle.com>
To:	KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@...fujitsu.com>
Cc:	Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.cz>, linux-mm@...ck.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/3] Implementation of cgroup isolation

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 2:41 AM, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki
<kamezawa.hiroyu@...fujitsu.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 10:59:43 +0200
> Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.cz> wrote:
>
>> On Tue 29-03-11 16:51:17, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:

>> > My opinions is to enhance softlimit is better.
>>
>> I will look how softlimit can be enhanced to match the expectations but
>> I'm kind of suspicious it can handle workloads where heuristics simply
>> cannot guess that the resident memory is important even though it wasn't
>> touched for a long time.
>>

> I think we recommend mlock() or hugepagefs to pin application's work area
> in usual. And mm guyes have did hardwork to work mm better even without
> memory cgroup under realisitic workloads.
>
> If your worload is realistic but _important_ anonymous memory is swapped out,
> it's problem of global VM rather than memcg.
>
> If you add 'isolate' per process, okay, I'll agree to add isolate per memcg.

>> > Okay, then, current works well.

>> > I can't catch what you mean. you can create limitless cgroup, anywhere.
>> > Can't you ?
>>
>> This is not about limits. This is about global vs. per-cgroup reclaim
>> and how much they interact together.
>>
>> The everything-in-groups approach with the "primary" service in the root
>> group (or call it unlimited) works just because all the memory activity
>> (but the primary service) is caped with the limits so the rest of the
>> memory can be used by the service. Moreover, in order this to work the
>> limit for other groups would be smaller then the working set of the
>> primary service.
>>
>> Even if you created a limitless group for other important service they
>> would still interact together and if one goes wild the other would
>> suffer from that.
>>

> .........I can't understad what is the problem when global reclaim
> runs just because an application wasn't limited ...or memory are
> overcomitted.

I guess the problem here is not triggering global reclaim, but more of
what is the expected output of it. We can not prevent global memory
pressure from happening in over-commit environment, however we should
do targeting reclaim only when that happens.

Hopefully an example helps explaining the problem we are trying to solve here.

Here is the current supported mechanism on memcg limits:
1. limit_in_bytes:
If the usage_in_bytes goes over the limit, the memcg get throttled or
OOM killed.

2. soft_limit_in_bytes:
If the usage_in_bytes goes over the limit, the memory are
best_efforts. Otherwise, no memory pressure is expected in the memcg.
This serves as "guarantee" in some sense.

Here is the configuration memcg users might consider:
On a host with 32G ram, we would like to over-committing the machine
but also provide guarantees to individual memcg.

memcg-A/ -- limit_in_bytes = 20G, soft_limit_in_bytes =  15G
memcg-B/ -- limit_in_bytes = 20G, soft_limit_in_bytes = 15G

The expectation of this configuration is:
a) Either memcg-A or memcg-B can grow usage_in_bytes up to 20G as long
as there is no system memory contention.
b) Both memcg-A and memcg-B have memory guarantee of 15G, and there
shouldn't be memory pressure applied if usage_in_bytes below the
value.
c) If there is a global memory pressure, whoever allocate memory above
the guarantee (soft_limit) need to push pages out.
d) Either memcg-A or memcg-B will be throttled or OOM killed if the
usage_in_bytes goes above the limit_in_bytes.

In order to achieve that, we need the following:
a) Improve the current soft_limit reclaim mechanism. Right now it is
designed to be best-effort working with global background reclaim. I
can easily generate scenario where it is not picking the "right"
cgroup to reclaim from each time. ("right" here stands for the
efficiency of the reclaim)

b) When the global reclaim happens (both background and ttfp), we need
to rely on soft_limit targeting reclaim instead of picking page on
global lru. The later one just blindly throw pages away regardless of
the configuration of cgroup. In this case, the configuration means
"guarantee".

c) Of course, we will have per-memcg background reclaim patch. It will
do more targeting reclaim proactively before the global memory
contention.

Overall, I don't see why we should scan the global LRU, especially
after the things above being improved and supported.

--Ying