Date:	Thu, 31 Mar 2011 13:56:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:	Nicolas Pitre <nico@...xnic.net>
To:	david@...g.hm
Cc:	Russell King - ARM Linux <linux@....linux.org.uk>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>,
	Tony Lindgren <tony@...mide.com>,
	David Brown <davidb@...eaurora.org>,
	lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org, linux-omap@...r.kernel.org,
	Catalin Marinas <catalin.marinas@....com>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] omap changes for v2.6.39 merge window

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011, david@...g.hm wrote:

> I think that part of the issue is that when Linus points out a problem, the
> response isn't "we agree and are working on it, here's what we are doing",
> instead it seems to be mostly "there is no problem, this is just because there
> is so much variation in ARM"

The problem is two-fold:

1) - "ARM hardware manufacturers are morons"...
   - ARM vendors "do things differently just to be difficult"...
   - "the crazy arm fragmentation"...
   Translate this into whatever ways you like.  The fact is that ARM
   is quite popular as a CPU core but there is very little in terms of
   standardization around that CPU core.  *OBVIOUSLY* this is a problem.
   But there is _nothing_ we can do about that besides the current
   moaning and the hope that those vendors will hear us and stop trying
   to be different from their competitors.  Apparently that won't happen
   in the near future, so we can either sit on our arses proclaiming
   repeatedly that this is a problem until those hardware vendors put
   their acts together, or we find ways to deal with it somehow.

2) Because of (1) we do end up being floded by SOC specific support code
   with an unprecedented scale.  Here's the stat:

   $ git diff --shortstat v2.6.38..v2.6.39-rc1 arch/arm/
   $ git diff --shortstat v2.6.38..v2.6.39-rc1 arch/x86/

   That's ten (10) times more lines added in the ARM directory than in
   the X86 directory.  Is this a sudden burst or a tendency?

   $ git diff --shortstat v2.6.37..v2.6.38 arch/arm/
   $ git diff --shortstat v2.6.37..v2.6.38 arch/x86/

   $ git diff --shortstat v2.6.36..v2.6.37 arch/arm/
   $ git diff --shortstat v2.6.36..v2.6.37 arch/x86/

   $ git diff --shortstat v2.6.35..v2.6.36 arch/arm
   $ git diff --shortstat v2.6.35..v2.6.36 arch/x86/

   So that appears to be quite "normal" to see ARM vendors together
   producing many times the level of activities compared to X86.

So... Is there missed opportunity for better code reuse here?  Most
probably.  Is all that code the result of misabstracted and duplicated
code?  Certainly not.  Let's just presume that half of that code is
genuine crap and the other half is simply the result of new hardware for
which there is no existing model to fit it in.  Even then, do we have 5
times the reviewer bandwidth to properly review all that code compared
to X86?  Absolutely not, not even close.

If prominent people looking at this from the side line continue bashing
at those who are both feet in the mud trying to contain the flood rather
than actually helping then nothing will change.  Instead this only
creates despair and the splashed people may simply decide to throw in
the towel, at which point things will collapse for real.  In reality,
the system has been going as it is for quite a while and with more or
less the same level of intensity.  And the fact is that _users_ of the
ARM kernel are not complaining.  Things are far from being perfect, but
so far things have been "good enough" for the majority of the people
involved, and improvements are constantly being worked on with the men
power available.

Nicolas