Date:	Fri, 8 Apr 2011 09:14:04 +0200 (CEST)
From:	Ricard Wanderlof <ricard.wanderlof@...s.com>
To:	"Justin P. Mattock" <justinmattock@...il.com>
cc:	Uwe Kleine-König
	<u.kleine-koenig@...gutronix.de>,
	"trivial@...nel.org" <trivial@...nel.org>,
	"linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org" <linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org>,
	"linux-usb@...r.kernel.org" <linux-usb@...r.kernel.org>,
	"socketcan-core@...ts.berlios.de" <socketcan-core@...ts.berlios.de>,
	"linux-mtd@...ts.infradead.org" <linux-mtd@...ts.infradead.org>,
	"linux-input@...r.kernel.org" <linux-input@...r.kernel.org>,
	"linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org"
	<linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC 1/6]Fix typo "recieve" in various parts of the kernel.

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011, Justin P. Mattock wrote:

> On 04/07/2011 01:05 PM, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 09:09:22AM -0700, Justin P. Mattock wrote:
>>> The patch below fixes some typos "recieve" in various parts of the kernel.
>>> Note: these below are in actual code rather than comments(excpet for r852.c which
>> s/excpet/except/
>>
>>> has a code fix, and comment).
>>> compile tested as best as I can...
>> I'm not a native speaker, but "as good as" sounds better in my ears.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Uwe
>>

> your right.. gcc and friends are the one's doing all the reall work: "as
> good as *"

I think Uwe was thinking of grammar rather than who was doing the actual
work.

Now that I've gone more or less off topic I may as well voice my opinion
the 'as best as I can' sounds like a mixup of two constructs: either 'as
best I can' (which is probably slightly unusual these days), or 'as well
as I can'. 'I've done it as good as I can' is gramatically wrong (since
'good' is an adjective and 'well' is an adverb, and it is referring to
'how I did it' (or in the case above, 'how well I tested it'), but fairly
common nevertheless, and given the large percentage of non-native speakers
in the Linux community I wouldn't worry about it, the meaning is clear
anyway.

I'll shut up and go now. :-)

/Ricard