Date:	Sat, 9 Apr 2011 09:40:09 +0200
From:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
To:	Andrea Arcangeli <aarcange@...hat.com>
Cc:	Anthony Liguori <anthony@...emonkey.ws>,
	Pekka Enberg <penberg@...nel.org>, Avi Kivity <avi@...hat.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, mtosatti@...hat.com,
	kvm@...r.kernel.org, joro@...tes.org, penberg@...helsinki.fi,
	asias.hejun@...il.com, gorcunov@...il.com
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Native Linux KVM tool

* Andrea Arcangeli <aarcange@...hat.com> wrote:

> [...] I thought the whole point of a native kvm tool was to go all the
> paravirt way to provide max performance and maybe also depend on vhost as
> much as possible.

To me it's more than that: today i can use it to minimally boot test various
native bzImages just by typing:

	kvm run ./bzImage

this will get me past most of the kernel init, up to the point where it would
try to mount user-space. ( That's rather powerful to me personally, as i
introduce most of my bugs to these stages of kernel bootup - and as a kernel
developer i'm not alone there ;-)

I would be sad if i were forced to compile in some sort of paravirt support,
just to be able to boot-test random native kernel images.

Really, if you check the code, serial console and timer support is not a big
deal complexity-wise and it is rather useful:

  git pull git://github.com/penberg/linux-kvm master

So i think up to a point hardware emulation is both fun to implement (it's fun
to be on the receiving end of hw calls, for a change) and a no-brainer to have
from a usability POV. How far it wants to go we'll see! :-)

Thanks,

	Ingo