Date:	Wed, 20 Apr 2011 07:47:10 +0200
From:	Willy Tarreau <w@....eu>
To:	Greg KH <gregkh@...e.de>
Cc:	Ben Hutchings <ben@...adent.org.uk>,
	Hans Rosenfeld <hans.rosenfeld@....com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, stable-review@...nel.org,
	akpm@...ux-foundation.org, "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...ux.intel.com>,
	torvalds@...ux-foundation.org, stable@...nel.org,
	alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk
Subject: Re: [Stable-review] [12/28] x86, cpu: Clean up AMD erratum 400 workaround

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 10:06:17PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 05:48:30AM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:

> > > I prefer to take original patches for stable, it makes it easier in the
> > > end.
> >
> > It makes what easier, when?  What I see here is a bug fix that is much
> > larger than necessary, with a consequent risk of regression that seems
> > way out of proportion to the benefit.  (What actually *is* the benefit
> > of these AMD changes?)  And we have had several serious regressions in
> > the 2.6.32.y series recently, so I really don't think we are getting the
> > trade-off right.
>
> We got a few new quirks added for AMD hardware platforms that fix
> problems.  It took 3 patches to get there, yes, but now, as time goes
> on, adding new ones is even easier as the .32 code matches the .39 code
> in this area due to these patches being added.

I totally agree with Greg here. I'd say that sometimes it's even unpleasant
to backport apparently useless fixes, but it's needed to get in sync with
mainline. I've had quite a number of backporting issues in 2.4 because some
fixes were backported so much differently that at one point it was not even
possible to know whether a later fix was needed or not, or how to apply it.

Here if we start remodeling patches to make them smaller before backporting
them, we'll get different code and all subsequent fixes will have to be
adapted to this distinct branch. By doing this, we even risk regressions
because at one point we can introduce stable-specific bugs.

Willy