Date:	Mon, 25 Apr 2011 03:47:09 -0400
From:	Mike Frysinger <vapier.adi@...il.com>
To:	Bruno Prémont <bonbons@...ux-vserver.org>
Cc:	KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro@...fujitsu.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-mm@...ck.org,
	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 2.6.39-rc4+: Kernel leaking memory during FS scanning, regression?

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 22:42, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 April 2011 Bruno Prémont wrote:
>> > On an older system I've been running Gentoo's revdep-rebuild to check
>> > for system linking/*.la consistency and after doing most of the work the
>> > system starved more or less, just complaining about stuck tasks now and
>> > then.
>> > Memory usage graph as seen from userspace showed sudden quick increase of
>> > memory usage though only a very few MB were swapped out (c.f. attached RRD
>> > graph).
>>
>> Seems I've hit it once again (though detected before system was fully
>> stalled by trying to reclaim memory without success).
>>
>> This time it was during simple compiling...
>> Gathered info below:
>>
>> /proc/meminfo:
>> MemTotal:         480660 kB
>> MemFree:           64948 kB
>> Buffers:           10304 kB
>> Cached:             6924 kB
>> SwapCached:         4220 kB
>> Active:            11100 kB
>> Inactive:          15732 kB
>> Active(anon):       4732 kB
>> Inactive(anon):     4876 kB
>> Active(file):       6368 kB
>> Inactive(file):    10856 kB
>> Unevictable:          32 kB
>> Mlocked:              32 kB
>> SwapTotal:        524284 kB
>> SwapFree:         456432 kB
>> Dirty:                80 kB
>> Writeback:             0 kB
>> AnonPages:          6268 kB
>> Mapped:             2604 kB
>> Shmem:                 4 kB
>> Slab:             250632 kB
>> SReclaimable:      51144 kB
>> SUnreclaim:       199488 kB   <--- look big as well...
>> KernelStack:      131032 kB   <--- what???
>
> KernelStack is used 8K bytes per thread. then, your system should have
> 16000 threads. but your ps only showed about 80 processes.
> Hmm... stack leak?

i might have a similar report for 2.6.39-rc4 (seems to be working fine
in 2.6.38.4), but for embedded Blackfin systems running gdbserver
processes over and over (so lots of short lived forks)

i wonder if you have a lot of zombies or otherwise unclaimed resources
?  does `ps aux` show anything unusual ?
-mike