Date:	Sun, 01 May 2011 02:38:32 +0200
From:	Markus <progrox@....net>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Bug Report: 2.6.38 causes loop / lockup at boot

Kernel Version: 2.6.38.2 to .4

Environment: An old laptop (Gericom Overdose T2, around 2001) with a SiS 630 board, Pentium 3 1.26GHz, ACPI 1.0B compliant

After a fresh net-install of Arch Linux (i686), when the system is booted from harddisk for the first time, it will loop these messages over and over, effectively making the system unusable. The messages never make it into a log (and because they run by very fast, this is all I could glean). Happens with both kernels 2.6.38.2 and 2.6.38.3:

[<c11ec???>] ? acpi_add_single_object
[<c11ec???>] ? acpi_device_suspend

For 2.6.38.4, the messages change slightly:

[<c11ec???>] ? acpi_add_single_object
[<c11ed???>] ? unregister_acpi_bus_type

Something similar happens after installing Debian Stable (i386 LXDE) and updating to Testing, except that the messages don't loop, but there's only about 10 of them before the system freezes up completely.

Fedora 15 beta with 2.6.38 booted fine.