Date:	Wed, 04 May 2011 00:13:23 -0400
From:	"werner" <w.landgraf@...ru>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	jaxboe@...ionio.com, tj@...nel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>, werner <w.landgraf@...ru>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
Subject: Re: 2.6.39-rc5-git2 boot crashs

The result of the test below is:

The big-file-zip / unzip / very-big-file-moving crashs
returned

The sync error didn't return

after switching on CONFIG-X86_EXTENDED_PLATFORMS inclusive
CONFIG_ELAN, and also let ON the RDC321X_WDT,
ELAN-CPUFREQ, CONFIG-SC500-CPUFREQ (BTREE switched off
anyway).

Thus, the first problem (zip..) cames from switching on
EXTENDED PLATFORMS etc , but the second (sync) comes from
MISC-FILESYSTEMS of which a part incl logfs continued
unchanged switched OFF, like also the (not-crashing) error
message came from this.

As said, before was used a config (with EXTENDED_PLATFORMS
etc OFF) which yesterday runned stable almost the whole
day and didnt show any of the reported problems.  But
after this mail, for better security, I'll return to it
and try to provoke a crash (unzipping bigger files etc) to
reaffirm that its really stable.

Annexed are:

/ config used
/ The difference of that config to the previous stable
one.  The zip error should be caused by these differences
/ The difference of the previous stable config, to the
initial everythingyes config. If this stable config was
really stable, then all problems reported by me since
2.6.35-rc3 should be caused by these differences.  (this
file I sent already, it's for comparison, and as a
summary)

W.Landgraf

=====================
I started already the compilation suggested before, ie let
CONFIG_MISC_FILESYSTEMS unchanged like it was at the last
stable config, with logfs OFF,
but switching on CONFIG-X86_EXTENDED_PLATFORMS, and also
let ON the RDC321X_WDT,
ELAN-CPUFREQ, CONFIG-SC500-CPUFREQ (BTREE switched off
anyway).
Thus, with exception of the items switched off in
MISC-FILESYSTEMS (incl. logfs),
it's the same like on my first everyyesconfig.

If the problems don't return, then the reason is anywhere
in MISC-FILESYSTEMS, one
of the few features which I switched off now, inclusive
logfs.

If the problems return, then they are because of the
EXTENDED-PLATFORMS (incl. ELAN) or in one of the 3 items
quoted above. However, then still the reported boot error
message can be because logfs.

After this is ready, I report about the results, and I do
what you write below.

wl
---
Professional hosting for everyone - http://www.host.ru

Download attachment "diff.zipproblem" of type "application/octet-stream" (1530 bytes)

Download attachment "config.zipproblem" of type "application/octet-stream" (137480 bytes)

View attachment "diff.config.txt" of type "text/plain" (2669 bytes)