Date:	Sat, 14 May 2011 10:49:49 +0200
From:	Christoph Hellwig <hch@....de>
To:	Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@...el.com>
Cc:	James.Bottomley@...senpartnership.com,
	Christoph Hellwig <hch@....de>,
	linux-scsi <linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org>,
	Dave Jiang <dave.jiang@...el.com>,
	David Milburn <dmilburn@...hat.com>,
	Ed Ciechanowski <ed.ciechanowski@...el.com>,
	Ed Nadolski <edmund.nadolski@...el.com>,
	Jacek Danecki <jacek.danecki@...el.com>,
	Jeff Skirvin <jeffrey.d.skirvin@...el.com>,
	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] isci merge candidate

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 01:14:40PM -0700, Dan Williams wrote:
> The isci driver team has now completed the major rework items addressed
> in the review on linux-scsi (including removal of state handlers,
> merging lldd and 'core', cleaning up the source code layout).

I've looked over the driver a bit and I'm quite impressed with what
you're archived in the short time since taking over the driver from
whoever came up with the mess that it was initially.

I don't think you're quite done yet with the todo list that was given
to you yet.  One thing that springs to mind is wrappers in timers.c,
which are not just ugly, but in case of isci_task_execute_tmf is plain
wrong as the implementation assumes all timers have the same lifetime
rules as the isci_host.  You'll need to at least replace that last usage
with a direct wait_for_completion_timeout, and even better get rid
of it entirely.

Also not quite done yet, although I'm happy with postponing that for now
is the unification of the various data structures from the different
layers of the original driver, e.g. isci_phy vs scic_sds_phy,
isci_port vs scic_sds_port, isci_remote_device vs scic_sds_remote_device
and isci_request vs scic_sds_request.

And of course there's a lot of room for additional further cleanups
that should be able to shave off another couple thousands of lines, but
these never were on the plate for the initial merge anyway.