Date:	Tue, 7 Jun 2011 10:32:50 +0200
From:	Monica Puig-Pey <puigpeym@...can.es>
To:	<hannes_bauer@....at>
CC:	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	Rolando Martins <rolando.martins@...il.com>,
	<linux-rt-users@...r.kernel.org>, <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	tglx <tglx@...utronix.de>
Subject: Re: Changing Kernel thread priorities

El 07/06/11 10:27, Johannes Bauer escribió:
> Absolutly correct!
>
> However, if you are running the system on an embedded platform, where the _WHOLE_ system (including priorities) is preconfigured and never touched, starting a irq thread with the right prio from start is a more straightforward method than having to invoke a script that changes it using userspace chrt tool.
>
> Regards JB

That's it!
If I work with embedded system where I know all my tasks running and
there is not a user how could I do it?

What I tried is create the kernel thread in my init_module using:

	#include <linux/kthread.h>

	struct task_struct *kthread_create(int (*threadfn)(void *data),
				   void *data,
				   const char namefmt[], ...)
and then running it with:

	#include <linux/sched.h>

	extern int wake_up_process(struct task_struct *tsk);

These functions stars a Kthread which has a NON RT priority. I can see
this using the ps command from user space.
Because it's not a real time thread is why I want, better need, to
change its priority, to have only real time threads running in my
driver. I want to use the Kthread as a bottom half for the interrupts.

How could I create real time kernel threads then? is kthread_create
wrong for real time enviroment?

Mónica Puig-Pey González       E-mail: puigpeym@...can.es

Grupo de Computadores y Tiempo Real, Departamento de Electrónica y
Computadores.
Facultad de Ciencias - Universidad de Cantabria
Av. de los Castros s/n. 39005 - Santander, España