Date:	Tue, 07 Jun 2011 05:46:14 -0400
From:	Mark Hounschell <dmarkh@....rr.com>
To:	Monica Puig-Pey <puigpeym@...can.es>
CC:	dmarkh@....rr.com, markh@...pro.net,
	Rolando Martins <rolando.martins@...il.com>,
	linux-rt-users@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Changing Kernel thread priorities

On 06/07/2011 05:14 AM, Mark Hounschell wrote:
> On 06/07/2011 04:40 AM, Monica Puig-Pey wrote:

>>> What I do is record the PID of the thread in the driver, then create an
>>> IOCTL for your driver that user land can call that either returns the
>>> PID so you can do it in user land, or cause the IOCTL code to do it in
>>> the driver.
>>>
>>> The same can be done with the affinity of the IRQ if you record the IRQ
>>> number.
>>>
>>> Mark
>>> --
>>> linux-rt-users" in
>>> the body of a message to majordomo@...r.kernel.org
>>> More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
>>
>> But I don't have de PID of my Kthread, I only have the task_struc * that
>> gives me the function:
>>
>> struct task_struct *kthread_create(int (*threadfn)(void *data),
>> void *data,
>> const char namefmt[], ...)
>>
>> How could I get the PID, and which function should I use in the IOCTL
>> (kernel context) for changing its priority?
>>

> The PID can be obtained from within the interrupt handler its self via
> current->pid.
> Obviously an interrupt has to occur first but after one interrupt you have it.
>
> Actually I had forgot how I handled this. Where I change the RT priority
> and cpu affinity is in what used to be called the Bottom Half and the IOCTL
> referred to above simply tells the BH to do it and with what values.

In interrupt handler code snippet:

struct task_struct *TSK;
struct sched_param PARAM = {.sched_priority = MAX_RT_PRIO };

         TSK = current;

Code snippet from BH:

         if (((rtom_rtprio != 0) &&
              (rtom_rtprio != PARAM.sched_priority)) ||
              (my_rtom_rtprio[BOARD] != rtom_rtprio)) {

                 PARAM.sched_priority = rtom_rtprio;
                 my_rtom_rtprio[COUNT] = rtom_rtprio;
                 sched_setscheduler(TSK, SCHED_FIFO, &PARAM);

                 set_cpus_allowed(TSK, rtom_devices[BOARD].irq_cpu_mask);
                 rtom_devices[BOARD].irq_task_pid = TSK->pid;
        }

rtom_rtprio and irq_cpu_mask are set by userland via an IOCTL. An interrupt
must occur for this to happen and my BOARD never shares IRQs.

Mark