Date:	Tue, 7 Jun 2011 20:53:21 -0700
From:	Ying Han <yinghan@...gle.com>
To:	Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>
Cc:	Hiroyuki Kamezawa <kamezawa.hiroyuki@...il.com>,
	KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@...fujitsu.com>,
	Daisuke Nishimura <nishimura@....nes.nec.co.jp>,
	Balbir Singh <balbir@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.cz>,
	Rik van Riel <riel@...hat.com>,
	Minchan Kim <minchan.kim@...il.com>,
	KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro@...fujitsu.com>,
	Mel Gorman <mgorman@...e.de>, Greg Thelen <gthelen@...gle.com>,
	Michel Lespinasse <walken@...gle.com>,
	"linux-mm@...ck.org" <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
	linux-kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [patch 0/8] mm: memcg naturalization -rc2

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 08:51:39AM -0700, Ying Han wrote:

> > > Thanks!!

> > > It's not.  The way I implemented soft limits depends on global reclaim
> > > performing hierarchical reclaim.  I don't see how I can reverse the
> > > order with this dependency.
> >
> > That is something I don't quite get yet, and maybe need a closer look
> > into the patchset. The current design of
> > soft_limit doesn't do reclaim hierarchically but instead links the
> > memcgs together on per-zone basis.
> >
> > However on this patchset, we changed that design and doing
> > hierarchy_walk of the memcg tree. Can we clarify more on why we made
> > the design change? I can see the current design provides a efficient
> > way to pick the one memcg over-their-soft-limit under shrink_zone().
>
> The question is whether we even want it to work that way.  I outlined
> that in the changelog of the soft limit rework patch.
>
> As I see it, the soft limit should not exist solely to punish a memcg,
> but to prioritize memcgs in case hierarchical pressure exists.  I am
> arguing that the focus should be on relieving the pressure, rather
> than beating the living crap out of the single-biggest offender.  Keep
> in mind the scenarios where the biggest offender has a lot of dirty,
> hard-to-reclaim pages while there are other, unsoftlimited groups that
> have large amounts of easily reclaimable cache of questionable future
> value.  I believe only going for soft-limit excessors is too extreme,
> only for the single-biggest one outright nuts.
>
> The second point I made last time already is that there is no
> hierarchy support with that current scheme.  If you have a group with
> two subgroups, it makes sense to soft limit one subgroup against the
> other when the parent hits its limit.  This is not possible otherwise.
>
> The third point was that the amount of code to actually support the
> questionable behaviour of picking the biggest offender is gigantic
> compared to naturally hooking soft limit reclaim into regular reclaim.

Ok, thank you for detailed clarification. After reading through the
patchset more closely, I do agree that it makes
better integration of memcg reclaim to the other part of vm reclaim
code. So I don't have objection at this point to
proceed w/ this direction. However, three of my concerns still remains:

1.  Whether or not we introduced extra overhead for each shrink_zone()
under global memory pressure. We used to have quick
access of memcgs to reclaim from who has pages charged on the zone.
Now we need to do hierarchy_walk for all memcgs on the system. This
requires more testing and more data results would be helpful

2. The way we treat the per-memcg soft_limit is changed in this patch.
The same comment I made on the following patch where we shouldn't
change the definition of user API (soft_limit_in_bytes in this case).
So I attached the patch to fix that where we should only go to the
ones under their soft_limit above certain reclaim priority. Please
consider.

3. Please break this patchset into different patchsets. One way to
break it could be:

a) code which is less relevant to this effort and should be merged
first early regardless
b) code added in vm reclaim supporting the following changes
c) rework soft limit reclaim
d) make per-memcg lru lists exclusive

I should have the patch posted soon which breaks the zone->lru lock
for memcg reclaim. That patch should come after everything listed
above.

Thanks
--Ying