Date:	Tue, 19 Jul 2011 14:19:03 +0530
From:	"Koul, Vinod" <vinod.koul@...el.com>
To:	viresh kumar <viresh.kumar@...com>,
	"Williams, Dan J" <dan.j.williams@...el.com>
CC:	"linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Shiraz HASHIM <shiraz.hashim@...com>,
	Armando VISCONTI <armando.visconti@...com>
Subject: RE: [Query]: What should we do in txd->tx_submit() and
 device_issue_pending()

(pls wrap your email to 80lines, I have reflowed below for readability)
> Hi Dan/Vinod,
>
> I have one query regarding implementation of few routines in DMA drivers.
>
> What the exact purpose of txd->tx_submit() and device_issue_pending() routines?
>
> Should tx_submit() always start physical transfer (Obviously, if channel is
> free)? Or should it just queue requests and then finally a call to
> device_issue_pending() must start physical transfers?
(reflowed your email for 80lines)
tx_submit is not supposed to start the transfer, it is supposed to add the
descriptors in dma driver's queue. The issue_pending is supposed to actually
start the transfer. The reasons were well articulated is discussion we had
when we did the DMA documentation.
Pls see https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/5/24/530

~Vinod