Date:	Thu, 28 Jul 2011 17:13:45 +1000
From:	NeilBrown <neilb@...e.de>
To:	Ben Blum <bblum@...rew.cmu.edu>
Cc:	paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com, Paul Menage <menage@...gle.com>,
	Li Zefan <lizf@...fujitsu.com>,
	Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...sign.ru>,
	containers@...ts.linux-foundation.org,
Subject: Re: Possible race between cgroup_attach_proc and de_thread, and
 questionable code in de_thread.

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 02:26:16 -0400 Ben Blum <bblum@...rew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 11:08:13AM +1000, NeilBrown wrote:
> > On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 16:42:35 -0700 "Paul E. McKenney"
> > <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> > > [ . . . ]

> > > This one looks OK to me.  The code is just referencing fields in each
> > > of the task structures, and appears to be making proper use of
> > > rcu_dereference().  All this code requires is that the task structures
> > > remain in existence through the full lifetime of the RCU read-side
> > > critical section, which is guaranteed because of the way the task_struct
> > > is freed.
> >
> > I disagree.  It also requires - by virtue of the use of while_each_thread() -
> > that 'g' remains on the list that 't' is walking along.
> >
> > Now for a normal list, the head always stays on the list and is accessible
> > even from an rcu-removed entry.  But the thread_group list isn't a normal
> > list.  It doesn't have a distinct head.  It is a loop of all of the
> > 'task_structs' in a thread group.  One of them is designated the 'leader' but
> > de_thread() can change the 'leader' - though it doesn't remove the old leader.
> >
> > __unhash_process in mm/exit.c looks like it could remove the leader from the
> > list and definitely could remove a non-leader.
> >
> > So if a non-leader calls 'exec' and the leader calls 'exit', then a
> > task_struct that was the leader could become a non-leader and then be removed
> > from the list that kernel/hung_task could be walking along.
>
> That agrees with my understanding.
>

> > So I don't think that while_each_thread() is currently safe.  It depends on
> > the thread leader not disappearing and I think it can.
>
> I think that while_each_thread is perfectly safe, it just needs to be
> protected properly while used. it reads the tasklist, and both competing
> paths (__unhash_process and de_thread) are done with tasklist_lock write
> locked, so read-locking ought to suffice. all it needs is to be better
> documented.

That might be one answer.
However the fact that rcu primitives are used to walk the list (next_thread()
contains list_entry_rcu) seems to suggest that the intention was that RCU
could be used for read access - which in large part it can.
So we have two alternatives:
 1/ take a reader spinlock to walk the thread_group list
 2/ make RCU work safely for walking thread_group

I thought it was best to try the latter first.

> > [...]
> >
> > +/* Thread group leader can change, so stop loop when we see one
> > + * even if it isn't 'g' */
> >  #define while_each_thread(g, t) \
> > -	while ((t = next_thread(t)) != g)
> > +	while ((t = next_thread(t)) != g && !thread_group_leader(t))
>
> this is semantically wrong: it will stop as soon as it finds a thread
> that has newly become the leader, and not run the loop body code in that
> thread's case. so the thread that just execed would not get run on, and
> in the case of my code, would "escape" the cgroup migration.

Yes, you are right ...
For your case I think you do want the thread group list to be both safe and
stable.  RCU can only provide 'safe' for a list.  So I think I'm convinced
that you need a readlock on tasklist_lock.  That doesn't mean that all users
of while_each_thread do.

> but I argue it is also organisationally wrong. while_each_thread's
> purpose is just to worry about the structure of the process list, not to
> account for behavioural details of de_thread. this check belongs outside
> of the macro, and it should be protected by tasklist_lock in the same
> critical section in which while_each_thread is used.

Sound fair.

Maybe we need two versions of while_each_thread().  One that assumes
tasklist_lock and guarantees getting every thread, and one that is less
precise but only needs rcu_read_lock().

That would require an audit of each call site to see what is really needed.

But yes: if you replace your rcu_read_lock()s with read_lock(&tasklist_lock)
then you will be safe, and I don't think you can do any better (i.e. less
locking) than that.

Thanks,
NeilBrown